Strippers

Posted: 2 September 2013 in Reviews
Tags:

No time for gaming this weekend, so I decided to fidget with some minis. A while ago, I was grumbling about my failures in dipping figures, and assorted kind readers made suggestions about how I could strip them back for repainting.

Based on that and other research, I came to the conclusion that the thing to try was Fairy Power Spray, which is as close as I can get to Simple Green in the local supermarket. It also has the huge advantage that my charming and witty wife uses it around the kitchen, which tells me the smell is acceptable to her and I will not be chastised for stinking up the garage. Gaming is nice, but domestic harmony is more important.

I decided to start with three sample figures…

2013090103

Left to right: W40K Tau colour scheme for Gu’ela units that never quite made it to the table, W40K Imperial Guard colour scheme intended for Larger Than Life adventures with an Inquisitor as the Star that didn’t get off the ground, and an attempt at snow camouflage that went horribly wrong; all dipped in Army Painter Strong Tone. The figures are from Copplestone Castings’ Future Wars range .

They were placed in a jam jar, submerged in Power Spray with a splash of water, and left to stew overnight. The next morning, they each got five minutes under a running tap with Mr Toothbrush, and they came out looking like this:

2013090104

That’ll do nicely, I think; they’re all pretty much back to bare metal and undamaged – faster and cheaper than buying them again, so I can use my next available miniatures funding to buy zombies, although now I have to paint the little blighters…

As you can see, it’s not possible to get every last speck of paint off them, especially the old undercoat in the deepest recesses – I think that’s more about not being able to get the toothbrush into the nooks and crannies than about Power Spray’s ability to shift undercoat. The superglue holding them to their bases was significantly weakened, and I was able to snap them off easily for later remounting. That’s just as well, because the one thing Power Spray didn’t remove is the sand held on with white glue – go figure.

I’m pleased with this method, and I recommend it to the House. The next batch is in the stripping jar as I type.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s