"Right men! Action stations! No no! Not the hose!" – Captain Flack, Trumpton
To refresh your memory and mine, here are Captain Flack and the Camberwick Green SAS – which should strictly be the Trumpton SAS. Those of you unfamiliar with this seminal UK children’s TV show, click here for enlightenment.
Meanwhile, I’ll start by reworking the team in line with ATZ: FFO, since they were originally created using ATZ: BDTZ. To do the conversion, I diced for Flack’s second attribute (since Nerves of Steel is no longer available), dropped attributes for everyone else as experience has taught me I don’t have the patience for everyone to have them, and allocated Pep and Sav scores. All of them are in body armour, and equipped with assault rifles and flash-bangs, except Cuthbert who has a SAW.
- Capt. Flack*: Rep 5, Pep 4, Sav 3. Born Leader (chosen), Initiative (diced).
- Pugh: Rep 5, Pep 2, Sav 3. Pugh’s skills are created as if he were Rep 4, because he started that way and levelled up to Rep 5 in play.
- Pugh: Rep 4, Pep 2, Sav 3. The two Pughs are twins. I just thought you might like to know that.
- Barney McGrew: Rep 3, Pep 1, Sav 2. McGrew’s low Rep reflects his time-serving, lazy attitude – he’s the unit’s "Get-Out Artist". You’ll notice in the video clip in the link that he is the only one who doesn’t acknowledge the roll call. He also can’t be bothered to shave.
- Cuthbert: Rep 4, Pep 2, Sav 3. Cuthbert has an aunt, and is the one in the hoist in the video clip, which made him the obvious choice for the pintle mount gunner.
- Dibble: Rep 4, Pep 2, Sav 3.
- Grubb: Rep 5, Pep 2, Sav 3. Again, Grubb improved his Rep in play.
What has already been established? To date, these hardened veterans have appeared in three encounters; filling in the gaps around those gives me a timeline to bring the unit up to date; I’m not going to bother with resources or involuntary encounters until after Z+50, let’s just say they got lucky.
- Z+7: Week One: Zed! 28 December 2012. (At this point we have to consider the 28 Months Later setting a parallel universe.)
- Z+14: Week Two: Robbery! 04 January 2013.
- Z+21: Week Three: Escape! 11 January 2013. The first three encounters will ease me back into the game, and also let me see how differently Rep 5 plays from Rep 2.
- Z+31: In the team’s earliest appearance, they encounter the Cops (Drew, Sylvia, Vince, Kate and Trenchcoat Larry), capture the first three and kill the other two. 21 January 2013. This is close enough to 30 days that I’ll say this is the fourth encounter in that period.
- Z+38: The team investigate a secret underground laboratory in search of The Cure. Pugh and Grubb increase their Rep to 5. The team rescue a couple of Gangers who tag along for the ride; a Rep 2 Wannabe with a machine pistol, and a Rep 5 Hardcase with an SMG. 28 January 2013. This is a rural area so that’s their encounter for the month.
- Z+50: They are in a small village (counts as suburbs) holding the Cops prisoner, but move on when the Cops escape. 09 February 2013. That is their first encounter of the month, and ends with them driving off to a new area, so I can start tracking resources from scratch at that point.
Learning from experience with Reed, while I will start Flack off right at the start of the outbreak and catch up, figures have Plot Immunity until they get to the last encounter where we have seen them alive. It’s been bugging me for some time now that Reed dies in flashback while explaining to a new recruit at month 28 or so how he put his group together… still, if I can have one parallel universe, why not two?