The party reached Syranthia this week, and while most of them were off doing whatever it is the characters do when their players can’t make it, Gutz, Nessime and The Warforged become embroiled in the hunt for a serial killer. As ever when running a published scenario, I hold myself back to avoid spoilers, but the most memorable moments were…
- Nessime’s casting of her Entangle power. She has some unusual trappings, and the trapping for Entangle is a horde of enchanted monkeys appearing from some improbable place and swarming over the target. This week her foe was standing on top of a barrel, so of course the monkeys were in the barrel. More fun than a barrel full of monkeys, as the saying goes.
- The Warforged allowing the sages to measure and draw him in exchange for access to the Great Library. He wouldn’t let them take any samples, though.
- Nessime persuading an encountered street gang to join them, arguing that they couldn’t allow murder to go unpunished on their turf unless they’d done it themselves.
- Gutz persuading a priest that he was a member of an obscure religion he in fact knew nothing at all about, and then later persuading one of the Library sages that he was a famous third-generation taxidermist. That went well until he asked the Library’s chief taxidermist for tips on stuffing and mounting illegal subjects.
- The Warforged taking the time to change to his Sorceror’s Spiked Frying Pan before his finishing move on the chief enemy thug. (He welded spikes to it some time ago, then there was an unforeseen accident in Gilaska which led to it being imbued with the qualities of a sorceror’s staff…)
The group finished this scenario in half the time I expected, deciding who the villain must be very early on with almost no evidence, and ignoring at least two major subplots along the way. Had their guess been wrong, things could have been even more entertaining.
As it is, as well as being wanted for desertion and murder by the army of Kyros, they are now also wanted for theft and arson by the Great Library, so they must move on in a hurry.
The paladin of Hulian tries so hard to do the right thing, but the rest of the party are just not on the same page…