A while ago I reviewed Army Ants Resolute edition, and bemoaned the lack of guidance for the GM. This guide fixes that. So, what’s inside this 8-page booklet?
- Ant society – the castes and their roles.
- The Unending War – the ongoing conflict between the Ant Republic and the Wasp Empire, and why it is unending.
- Six mission prompts – basic scenario types.
- Advice on unifying individual missions into a campaign
- Paragraphs on technology, mysticism, and larger beasts
I think this is probably as far as I will go with Army Ants. I love the concept, but there are two things that will stop me progressing to a campaign…
- Most importantly, I know from experience that my players don’t like military-themed campaigns; they are more focussed on exploration and intrigue. While you can play any type of scenario with any rules, some are better suited to particular types of story – this game has a military focus.
- After both the rules and the ref’s guide, and the free introductory comic, I still don’t see clearly what makes Army Ants unique, different from any other military-themed game, apart from the terrain (the ref’s backyard).
So, another one for the reference shelf, at least for me. Your Mileage May Vary.