I tend to carry with me quick reference notes for the most popular player character build choices, so I like to keep track of what those are. At the time of writing, I’ve had 13 players in my fantasy and SF Savage Worlds campaigns, who between them have created 26 characters. I’m starting to see some patterns developing…
Including both initial choices and later acquisitions, the most popular Edges, Hindrances and Powers are these:
- Arcane Background (Magic) – chosen 6 times.
- Arcane Background (Miracles), New Power, Power Points – each selected 3 times.
- Wizard, Arcane Background (Psionics), Ace, Arcane Background (Weird Science) – each picked twice.
- 21 other edges, each only taken once.
- Loyal: Friends. By far the most popular choice, selected by 12 characters.
- Minor Habit – chosen 6 times.
- Code of Honour, Heroic, Wanted – four times each.
- Bloodthirsty, Stubborn, Curious, Vengeful, Phobia – three times each. Bloodthirsty and Stubborn are always picked by the same guy, though, so that may be distorting the figures.
- Cautious, Clueless, Vow, Outsider, Ugly, Delusional – twice each.
- 11 other hindrances, each only taken once.
- Healing – 5 characters have this.
- Bolt, Detect/Conceal Arcana, Smite, Fear – chosen 4 times each.
- Boost/Lower Trait, Stun, Deflect – twice each. Boost/Lower Trait in particular is more useful than it appears at first.
- Armour – once. My players quickly worked out that on average, you take less damage if you have Deflection up than Armour.
I wonder, is this a general thing, or specific to my groups of players? What patterns do you find in your campaigns?