This review is just to alert you to the fine cartography available at two sites; Crooked Staff Productions and Paratime Design. Assuming you didn’t already know, that is.
CROOKED STAFF PRODUCTIONS
Crooked Staff Productions offers a wide range of free downloads, mostly aimed at Tolkienesque fantasy. These include, but are not limited to:
- Interior maps of common mediaeval structures.
- A range of 30 modular, greyscale dungeon maps, 100′ x 100′. Each is available as a 5′ to 1" battlemat, or as a one page dungeon style sheet for the GM. These are delightful, and my only complaint is that the GM version should have had the rooms numbered.
- Similar modules for science fiction "dungeons". These ones are coloured and numbered, but JPEG files rather than PDFs.
- Continental and regional scale maps of the artist’s own campaign world, which mimic the look of the endpaper maps in The Lord of the Rings.
- Detailed small settlements and adventures from that campaign world, ready to drop into your own campaign
Paratime Design also has a number of free downloads, which are governed by the Creative Commons licence. They include, but again are not limited to:
- Dungeons. Literally hundreds of dungeons of all sizes, in numerous formats; greyscale, coloured, textured, old-school blue, with numbers, without numbers, it’s all here.
- Interior maps of common mediaeval structures. To my mind these complement the CSP ones rather than duplicating them.
- Starship deck plans.
I intend to use the CSP modular greyscale dungeons as complexes within the Irongrave megadungeon, and both those and the Paratime dungeons as one-off, smaller labyrinths.