The last of the solo games I plan to try in this current exercise; solo dungeon crawls, using the Savage Worlds rules for characters and combat, because there are many such games and I don’t fancy coming to grips with a new basic system eachtime. My aims are to stay current with Savage Worlds between face to face sessions, and explore which of the various solo dungeon generators is the most fun.
I shall start with the dungeon and scenario generator from Warhammer Quest; the monsters for this are covered in Savage Worlds already, except skaven, for which I shall use the Soldier and Experienced Soldier ally templates with a “trapping” of “look like giant humanoid rats”.
(Trappings are one of the key features of Savage Worlds; essentially what something looks like in play is decoupled from the underlying game rules. So, for example, the various types of missile spell in D&D – magic missile, lightning bolt, finger of death, scorching ray, etc – would all be represented in Savage Worlds as the Bolt power, with different trappings. Some people like that approach, including me; and some don’t.)
It’s easy enough to convert the basic heroes to Savage Worlds, and here they are… I used an amalgam of the Heroquest, Advanced Heroquest, and Warhammer Quest versions of these iconic characters as a basis.
A savage warrior from the snow clad realm of Norsca whose love of battle and plunder has led him to the World’s Edge Mountains.
- Attributes: Agility d6, Smarts d6, Spirit d6, Strength d8, Vigor d6
- Skills: Fighting d6, Guts d6, Notice d6, Shooting d6, Survival d8, Tracking d8
- Charisma 0, Pace 6, Parry 5, Toughness 6.
- Hindrances: Greedy, Overconfident.
- Edges: Berserk.
- Gear: Longsword: Str+d8, Leather Armor: +1, Lantern.
The Dwarf seeks not only gold and adventure, but the opportunity to deal out retribution to the dark minions who now inhabit his ancestors’strongholds and mines.
- Attributes: Agility d6, Smarts d6, Spirit d6, Strength d6, Vigor d8
- Skills: Fighting d8, Guts d6, Lockpicking d8, Notice d6, Repair d4, Shooting d6
- Charisma 0, Pace 5, Parry 5, Toughness 9
- Hindrances: Slow, Greedy, Vengeful.
- Edges: Low Light Vision, Tough, Brawny.
- Gear: Great Axe: Str+d10, Chain Hauberk: +2, Rope (10″).
Note that because the dwarf only has Strength d6, his damage with the greataxe is actually 2d6, because the weapon damage die can’t be bigger than his own Strength die. Clearly he will want to advance Strength early and often.
A nimble wood elf from the forest of Loren, whose passion for gems and jewels, along with his hatred for Orcs, Goblins and other evil races, has brought him to the dungeons of the World’s Edge Mountains.
- Attributes: Agility d12, Smarts d6, Spirit d6, Strength d6, Vigor d6
- Skills: Fighting d8, Guts d6, Notice d6, Shooting d8, Stealth d4, Survival d6, Tracking d6
- Charisma -2, Pace 6, Parry 6, Toughness 5
- Hindrances: All Thumbs, Enemy: Orcs and Goblins, Greedy, Outsider.
- Edges: Low Light Vision, Agile.
- Gear: Bow: 2d6, Potion of Healing.
Although not skilled in physical combat, the Wizard is a master of magic, and a powerful ally when exploring the dungeons of the World’s Edge Mountains.
- Attributes: Agility d6, Smarts d6, Spirit d6, Strength d6, Vigor d6
- Skills: Fighting d4, Guts d6, Healing d6, Knowledge (Arcana) d6, Notice d6, Shooting d4, Spellcasting d8
- Charisma 0, Pace 6, Parry 4, Toughness 5, Power Points 10
- Edges: Arcane Background (Magic).
- Powers: Armor, Bolt, Healing.
- Gear: Longsword: Str+d8, Scroll of Bolt.
I now roll randomly for the Objective Chamber (the place where the McGuffin will be), selecting the Idol Chamber, and for the quest, getting number 4, “Daemon Summoning”. This tells me that the group’s mission is to seek out an ancient temple, where a skaven warlord and his minions are trying to summon a daemon and bind it to their will, and read aloud a Scroll of Banishment (provided by whoever sent the party on this quest) to prevent this happening. So when next I have time and inclination to pursue this thread, that is what they will do.